Did someone say fire?

Written by: Jamie

It’s taken me a while, but here’s the story…

Two Thursday’s ago, I got off work at 5 and was headed home. Had just “one of those days”, and all I wanted to do was sit, relax, put my feet up and do nothing! Boy was I in for it.

As soon as I opened up the door to the house, I got hit with the NASTIEST stench imaginable! I had never, in my life, smelled anything like it before. To me it smelled like a gas or a chemical type smell. I immediately opened the sliding glass door and let a little air in. I called Bryan and told him, what was going on. I stood by the screen door sucking in fresh air while I was on the phone, but that wasn’t enough. I had to get compelely outside! The smell was that strong!

Bryan and I agreed that it wasn’t safe for me to be there (being pregnant and all), so he told me to leave. Well, what if when I come back it STILL smells?!?! So, he said that he would call the fire department and for me to wait outside for them.

About 3 minutes later the huge fire truck AND the emergency “first response” truck showed up in our tiny little apartment circle. 5 or 6 firemen came up in their full suits and with little radar guns and gizmos, and were sniffing around. They looked as puzzled as me.

A few minutes later, one of the guys came out of our bedroom, exclaiming, “Found it!” Well, turns out Bryan had stuffed a bunch of CRAP on the top shelf of the closet and the light had gotten left on! The first thing out of my mouth was, “OH, I could KILL my husband!” I told him when he was shoving all that junk up there, to just go through and throw it away! So, here’s this fireman holding a little foam pet sofa with a huge melted hole in it!!! I could have died!

They told me that our clothes were going to stink pretty bad, and that we’d need to go through and wash and clean EVERYTHING. All the firemen started giving me laundry tips then. Told me what their wives used to get the smell out of their uniforms. I thanked them for the advice.

So the rest of the weekend was spent, washing clothes, and cloroxing walls (Bryan did that. Boy, was I nervous… him and a bucket of clorox on the carpet… ha ha).

All is well now. The whole thing was just so weird though, because there wasn’s any smoke. Just a nasty stench. Thank goodness we call the fire department, otherwise we would have really had a mess on our hands!!!!

Advertisements

Posted on February 8, 2006, in Whoops!. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

  1. Ha ha. Well I’m really glad nobody got hurt, and nothing got damaged.

    I can only imagine the smell. Reminds me of the time Mrs. Penka, our gifted teacher had us do an experiement with baseballs.

    We were going to see which bounced higher, a cold baseball or a hot one. So we were supposed to put one in the freezer for a few hours, and another in the oven for a while.

    I don’t remember why, but the hot baseball for some reason cooled off too much for us to use it. So instead of putting it back in the oven, somebody gets the bright idea to stick it in the microwave…

    All is well for a few seconds, but all of a sudden, the baseball EXPLODES in the microwave. It completely ripped apart the seams and spewed molten rubber all over the microwave. We opened the door and thick grey smoke rolled, out and it was the most horrendous smell ever!

    I don’t know if those gifted classes were for better or worse!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: