Monthly Archives: April 2009
Got Andrea’s new headlights installed today. They’re not what I would have chose, but I admit they look better than I thought they would. She took a drive tonight and said they’re tons better than her old ones, so money well spent I guess.
Oh and don’t judge my painting abilities quite yet. The paint isn’t very glossy because I just got done wet sanding it. More paint hopefully tomorrow night or monday. 4 coats to go! (Maybe more)
Well, we’re really making some progress now. Got two coats on just about everything except the front header panel/bumper. I want to wait to tear into that until her new headlights come in on Friday. No sense taking the old ones out. Putting the old ones back in. Taking the old ones out.. and putting the new ones in! She got some (IMHO) goofy ‘euro’ headlights. I called her a ricer. But she got what she wanted and is happy, and that’s what’s important.
Here’s some shots with a couple of coats on. Got one more coat, then wetsand. Then three more coats, wetsand. Then see where we’re at. Black is a tough color so I might go up to 10… just don’t know yet. It’s not going to look perfect. But I’ll get it looking as good as I can!
Well today was the first real day of work on Andrea’s car getting it ready for paint. Pulled a lot of trim and did a lot of sanding. It’s gonna be a lot of work, but it’s definitely looking doable. Thankfully there’s not near the rust that there was on my car. But still a few spots here and there.
Andrea has been doing just as much work as I have, which I gotta say is pretty cool! How many guys can say, “Yeah my wife helped me prep the Mustang for paint tonight.” Just the lucky ones. 😉
Well one stubborn axle nut and some rainy weather made for a worthless Thursday. But I put the car back together enough to go down the street and get somebody with a real impact wrench to break it loose for me and that did the trick! So here’s the rest of the junk I replaced.
So I just got it back from the shop and took it for a drive on the highway. Runs right down the road! Felt good to have the car back cruising again. Looking forward to some trips now in a more comfortable ride. Not that Andrea’s car isn’t comfortable. It’s just not as… roomy. Hehe. So finally a project I can knock off the list. Next, repainting the Mustang. Plenty of pictures coming for that too I’m sure!
Well now that I’ve got myself a new job, I felt like I could devote some time to a project that’s needed done for a while now. Rebuilding the front steering on the Toronado. I got the driver’s side done today. If the weather holds out I’m going to tackle the other side tomorrow. I ran out of daylight, but mostly I didn’t want the neighbors complaining about me hammering on my car until the wee hours of the morning.
I tried to take a lot of pictures so I could possibly post a “How To” article on Oldspower.com, but I kinda got on a roll and in a hurry to get done for the night when I started pulling the axel out, so I’ll have to get pictures of the otherside tomorrow.
Pictures to follow are kinda close quarters, so here’s a basic image to give you an idea of how the steering linkage is laid out. There’s some difference because of the unique nature of the Toronado front wheel drive, but the parts involved and the principle are exactly the same.